20 June 2012

Tyvek Floral Sculpture

Hi all,

So, I managed to get some pictures of the tyvek floral sculpture that I made for my art coursework project. If you don't already know (which I didn't) tyvek is a non-woven material used in building walls and things, also in C.S.I suits. When heated it goes all crinkly and melts and holes. I used this to create flowers and leaves. I was inspired by Alexander McQueens flower dress, where he had used silk flowers and real flowers. I loved the colours and the shape, and I tried to channel that into my own creation. This took a really long time. All of the petals for the flowers have to be made individually, with wire sewn around the outside, lines of embroidery sewn, then dyed, then heated, then put together with others to make the flower. It really became a labour of love! There are also stamen at the centre of the flowers, which are beads on wire. The leaves are lining the whole structure.
This art piece was the one I was working on when I had the little accident with the needle and my eye (scratched cornea!) But I can honestly say, it was worth it. I took these pictures with my little digital camera (which isn't amazing quality) I am going to try to get some better ones soon :) but till then here it is...







xox Niamh xox

6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Niamh, this is absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations on finishing it! (But a scratched cornea?! Be careful, pretty girl!) You are so talented.

    xo Julie
    ♥Julie Rose Sews♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :) after that little incident I wore safety specs for the rest of the sewing! (I did look a bit funny though) x

      Delete
  2. This is so gorgeous. All your hard work really paid off. I wish I could do something like this, but I tend to start stuff and finish it 6 months later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Its a relief to finish something! x

      Delete
  3. I love this so much! It's so intricate and lifelike! 😍 I'm doing something similar for my A-Level Coursework and I would love it if you could go into more detail about how you created the leaves and how you constructed the flower
    Thankyou!

    ReplyDelete